1. Real Estate

Buying a home or condo and developing/investing in commercial property are major transactions. They involve large sums of money and there is lots to consider. What easements or other charges are registered against the property? Should you get title insurance or a survey certificate? How does a strata corporation work? With commercial projects, issues like zoning, joint venture agreements, sub-division and financing may all come into play.

2. ICBC Injury Claims

Have you been injured in a car crash or other accident? It’s important to have a lawyer who acts only for you and protects your legal right to treatment and compensation.

3. Corporate & Commercial Law

Perhaps you’re starting a new business. Should it be a sole proprietorship? A company? A franchise? A partnership? Or perhaps you have a well-established business and need a creative restructuring plan to help it expand?

4. Wills, Estates & Trusts

Making a will is one of the kindest things you can do for your loved ones. You can name a guardian for your children. And it allows your estate to be given away after you pass as you desire. Without a will, your estate is distributed according to provincial law (in a way that you may not wish).

5. Disputed Wills & Estates

When a person dies in British Columbia and hasn’t adequately looked after their spouse or child in their will, the courts can vary or change the will. If you didn’t receive the inheritance you feel you deserved, we can help. Our lawyers can also assist if you’re concerned that the will may not be valid (perhaps because the deceased was unduly influenced by a family member).

6. Divorce & Family Law

The end of your marriage or common-law relationship is a difficult period. We recognize that. At Cobbett & Cotton, we take the time to understand your situation and adopt a caring approach to ease you through this transition. We like to use mediation and negotiation to help forge, in a respectful way, a resolution that suits you best. (Alternatives to court are especially important if you have children, since you and your spouse or partner will probably continue to share in the parenting.) But, if necessary, we will go to court and strongly advocate for you.

Translate »